The project “Learn Russian in the European Union” offers a Russian language immersion within the European Union.
The project “Learn Russian in the EU” takes advantage of two key factors:
- the unique ethnic and cultural background of the Daugavpils region,
- competence of Daugavpils University and Training Center LatInSoft in the field of Russian language education.
Daugavpils is a multinational city, where
- 96, 000 people live – the second largest city in Latvia;
- nearly everyone speaks standard modern Russian as their native or primary language;
- Russian is the language of everyday communication.
Daugavpils is a unique place, “the most Russian” city in Latvia and the European Union. Daugavpils is the perfect place for intensive Russian communication training.
Daugavpils University is the major academic and research institution in Eastern Latvia. The Department of Russian and Slavic Linguistics has a long tradition of research and teaching the Russian language and literature to teachers, philologists and linguists. For more than 20 years DU has been offering foreign students programs in the Russian language, literature and culture. The faculty members of the Department mostly hold doctoral degrees and participate in academic BS, MS, and doctoral programs in Russian philology, as well as in professional programs in pedagogy, translation, intercultural communication.
Training Center LatInSoft has been offering courses of Russian as a foreign language since 2004. All our teachers are native Russian speakers, and possess advanced professional degrees in the field of Russian philology and methodology of teaching foreign languages, as well as extensive experience in teaching Russian as a foreign language. Training Center LatInSoft is an educational institution, accredited by the Ministry of Science and Education of Latvia. Training Center LatInSoft is an ISO 9001:2008 certified institution.
The project’s mission
- Provide the Russian language and culture education services to international students;
- Promote Daugavpils as the perfect place for Russian language immersions and study abroad programs in the territory of the European Union.