Daugavpils is not only “the most Russian city in Latvia”, but is without doubt the perfect place to learn the Russian language within the European Union and the states of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
The major advantages of the “Learn Russian in the EU” project are:
Unique Russian-speaking environment
- Daugavpils is “the most Russian” city in the European Union. You will experience a full language immersion and acquire an amazing cultural experience. The perfect place to learn the Russian language.
Flexible training options
We offer different Russian language training options:
- Individually tailored one-to-one courses;
- Academic programs and study abroad programs on the Russian language, literature and culture, East European and post-Soviet studies for university students;
- Internships in academia, research, municipal government, sports, law enforcement;
- Teacher development courses for foreign teachers who teach Russian as a foreign language
- Fully adapted programs which fit the need of the individual customer.
No visa required
- Citizens of many countries do not need a visa to enter Latvia, Latvia is a member of the Schengen Agreement zone. This makes your trip easier and less expensive and also provides opportunities to easily visit the neighboring Baltic states of Lithuania and Estonia.
Home base for East European, post-Soviet and Baltic area studies
- All the Baltic capitals are easily accessible by bus. The Lithuanian border is 25 kilometers, Belarus border is 33 km, and the Russian border is 120 km from Daugavpils.
- St. Petersburg and Moscow can be reached by a convenient overnight train.
- The Russian and Belarus consulates, located in Daugavpils, can issue a Russian or Belarusian visa in few days.
Standard of living and safety at a European level
- Daugavpils is a nice, safe and clean European city with modern infrastructure and rich history. Quality of life, quality of services, friendly people are but a few factors that draw visitors to Daugavpils.
- Latvia is a democratic country with a market economy. Latvia is a member state of the European Union and NATO.
- Since 2014 Euro has become the national currency in Latvia
Flexible accommodation options
- Being part of a Russian host family is an excellent opportunity to learn Russian in an authentic environment. Majority of our student choose the opportunity of staying with a Russian host family.
- Students can also opt for living in a hotel or a rented apartment.
- Daugavpils is located within the territory of the European Union and NATO. Therefore, we are able to provide training services for students with specific needs in privacy and safety. For example, we have experience in delivering Russian language proficiency upgrade courses for the NATO countries’ government officials and diplomats.
High quality of training
- Daugavpils University and Training Center LatInSoft possess broad experience in teaching foreign languages to international students. Our study programs are tailored according to the interests and needs of each group and every student. Our state-of-the-art teaching methods ensure the classes are extremely efficient and interesting.
ECTS credit transfer
- Since Latvia is a member of the EU, study abroad programs in Daugavpils University can provide credit transfer as developed by the European Commission and Council of Europe under the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). ECTS credits are widely accepted by North American universities.
- The total budget for a Russian immersion course, lodging, food, and living expenses in Daugavpils is usually lower, compared to other cities and countries. At the same time, the quality of life, quality of services, and safety, most likely may exceed your expectations.
- All of our teachers are native Russian speakers with a corresponding scientific degree. They are professional, experienced, and very enthusiastic.
Ethnic and cultural diversity
- From its turbulent history, the Daugavpils region has inherited remarkable ethnic, confessional, and cultural diversity. This small territory is a home to different communities – Russian, Latvian, Latgalian, Jewish, Polish, Belarusian, Gypsy – where they have been living and cooperating for centuries.
We believe Daugavpils is a great place for intensive Russian immersion training for university students and professionals!